Making chocolate dipped mandarin slices is super easy. With only 3 ingredients and a 15-minute preparation, these chocolate mandarin oranges are perfect for lunch boxes, Holiday entertaining or healthy snacking.
Chocolate dipped mandarin slices are naturally vegan and gluten-free (always check the labels of the ingredients you are about to buy to see whether they really contain no gluten).
To make chocolate-dipped mandarin oranges nut-free, simply omit the nuts and use another topping instead (see below a few ideas).
It’s a great project to do with kids as it has a quick and easy prep.
Tools needed to make chocolate covered mandarin oranges
Baking sheet – or any tray that you can fit in the fridge
Saucepan with a little water – for melting chocolate (you won’t need this if you melt chocolate in a microwave)
A heat-proof bowl for melting chocolate that will sit over the saucepan (if using)
A knife or a food processor to crush pistachios
A heat-proof spatula/spoon – for stirring
How long will chocolate-dipped mandarins last?
Once they are set, transfer them to an airtight container and store in the fridge.
They will keep well in the fridge for up to 2-3 days, but if you want to serve them at a party or family gathering, I suggest making them on the day of your get-together or alternatively a day ahead to achieve maximum freshness.
If you are looking for healthy snacks that you can make well ahead, try chocolate covered dates. They are best stored in the freezer and can last that way for weeks. They usually disappear very quickly from our freezer though.
Optional extras/possible substitutions
- Use chopped almonds or pecans instead of pistachios.
- Sprinkle some shredded coconut or sea salt over.
- Dark chocolate that contains over 70% cocoa content is the healthiest, but this can be substituted with semi-sweet or milk chocolate if you like.
- Various festive sprinkles can also be used instead of pistachios.
Tangerines, satsumas, mandarins, or clementines all will work as long as they are fresh. Don’t use the canned version!
More chocolate covered snacks:
- Chocolate Covered Orange Peels – when refrigerated, these last for several days!
- Chocolate Covered Cranberries – these are our favorite snacks when going hiking in winter.
- Chocolate Banana Bites
- 6 mandarins, peeled, see note 1
- 4 ounces dark chocolate, roughly chopped, see note 2
- ¼ cup pistachios, shelled and finely chopped, see note 3
- Line a baking sheet with baking parchment (make sure the sheet fits in your fridge).
- Transfer roughly chopped chocolate into a heat-proof bowl and place it over a small saucepan filled with about ½ cup (120 milliliters) of water. On medium-low heat, melt the chocolate. Use a spoon or spatula to speed up the process and to avoid uneven melting. Turn off the heat.
- Take a mandarin segment and dip it in the melted chocolate. Place it onto the baking sheet and repeat until you have used all the mandarins.
- Sprinkle with chopped pistachios and refrigerate for 15 minutes or until the chocolate is set. When ready, transfer into an airtight container and keep in the fridge until ready to serve.
- You can use either mandarins, tangerines or clementines. Canned mandarins will not work though!
- I used dark chocolate with 70% cocoa content, but you can use semi-sweet or milk chocolate if you like.
- Feel free to use other nuts instead of pistachios. Shredded coconut is also a tasty alternative.
- Chocolate-dipped mandarin slices will keep in the fridge for up to 2-3 days when stored properly.
- More tips and topping ideas can be found in the post above this recipe card.
- Nutritional information is per 1 segment.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 17Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 3mgCarbohydrates: 2gFiber: 0gSugar: 2gProtein: 0g