Easy-peasy salami and cheese skewers, perfect for any last-minute gathering. Their preparation takes less than 10 minutes and requires only 3 ingredients (4th is optional)!
Plus, they are completely customizable so why not use ingredients you like or have on hand?
- Chopping board + knife
- 24 skewers
Salami skewers ingredients:
- Block of cheddar cheese
- Pesto (optional) – either store-bought or homemade (There are so many variations of this Italian sauce: we like parsley pesto)
Cheddar cube, salami, and olive are secured together with a toothpick and served. As a variation, pesto (of any kind) can be added.
You would literally need only a tiny amount (about 1/8 of a teaspoon). Simply dip a knife in the sauce and smear it onto the salami slice.
What do these salami skewers contain?
Meat: Yes (salami)
Dairy: Yes (cheese)
Nuts: No (if you use pesto, then yes)
Frequently asked questions:
How long in advance can I make these?
These bite-size appetizers are very quick to prepare, but if you want to make them ahead, you can do so from several hours up to overnight. However, they need to be stored in an airtight container in the fridge to prevent them from drying out.
Can I substitute some of the ingredients?
Absolutely! Use what you like: Deli meat of your choice, cocktail pickles or black olives, another type of cheese…
Or, why not try our olive cheese skewers appetizers if planning on making these for the Holidays?
What other appetizers add to my party menu?
This would depend on what you and your guests like. Always ask if they have any special diets or allergies just to be sure. Also, I recommend serving a good variety so that your guests have an option to choose from.
For example, you already have cheese appetizers, so why not choose something that has veggies in (i.e. a crudité platter, salsa…). Or make something warm like chicken wings or meatballs.
If you like to add more party foods with cheese, try using a different kind so your guest can also try something new.
Looking for other easy make-ahead appetizer recipes? Here are some ideas for you:
- Goat Cheese Wrapped Grapes – Try these and let us know what you think!
- Artichoke Parmesan Dip – This recipe only takes 5 minutes to put together!
- Pear Pomegranate Salsa – Mmm…this one is so good.
- 1 block cheddar cheese, cut into bite-size cubes, see note 1
- 24 pieces of thinly sliced deli salami, see note 2
- 24 pitted olives, see note 3
- pesto - completely optional, see note 4
- Take a cheese cube, top it with a slice of salami folded in half and again in half (if using pesto, smear a tiny amount over the salami).
- Add olive and secure with a toothpick. Repeat until you use up all the ingredients.
- I used a 7-ounce/200-gram cheddar that I cut into 3/4-inch cubes/2-centimeter (they can be slightly smaller than that. You can use any block of cheese you like – edam, cheddar, mozzarella…
- This can be substituted with prosciutto or another type of deli meat.
- Use either black or green. They can also be stuffed with pimento. If you don’t like olives, try cocktail pickles or pepperoncini.
- For 24 pieces you will need only a little amount of pesto so count with about a tablespoon or less in total.
- Count with about 3-4 pieces per person. When served alongside other appetizers, you can count with less.
- These easy toothpick appetizers can be prepared in advance from several hours up to overnight. Store in the fridge in an airtight container. They are very easy and quick to assemble though.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 66Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 4mgSodium: 99mgCarbohydrates: 1gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 2g