Mini sandwiches are a great snack not only for kids lunchboxes, but they are also perfect for brunch, party, baby shower or picnic. Ready in 10 minutes, these simple ham and cheese sandwiches are always a hit at any gathering!
If you are looking for affordable appetizers, put these sandwich on a stick bites on your menu list!
How to make mini sandwiches with ham and cheese
To make 12 of these finger sandwiches you will need 3 slices of bread. Spread each with a mixture of cream cheese and mustard and top one of them with cheese, ham and lettuce leaves. Cover with second slice of bread and repeat the layers – cheese, ham, lettuce leaves and finally the last bread slice.
Now, all you have to do is cut it into 12 pieces and then repeat the same process with the rest of the ingredients.
How to cut mini sandwiches
Cut the ready-made sandwich in half. Now take 12 toothpicks and stick 6 of them in each half. This makes it easier to cut them. Check photos for better understanding.
How to keep mini sandwiches fresh
The best way is to keep them in an air-tight container until ready to serve. If you don’t mind that the lettuce will wilt slightly, you can prep them the night before.
However, if you are not planning on making a large batch of these mini sandwich bites, I suggest making them shortly before serving. You can easily prepare 24 of them in 10 minutes.
Tips for making the best finger sandwiches
Use any sandwich bread you like. I used crustless white bread to save time removing the crust, but you can just remove it yourself.
Mustard – Make sure to use the brand/type you or your guests prefer. I used classic French mustard.
Any sliced cheese will work here – Cheddar, Mozzarella, Gouda or Edam are all delicious options.
As you can see from the photos, I used 2 slices of ham per layer. The reason is simple – it was sliced very thinly – almost paper-thin so I knew with the amount of bread, you would not taste it. If you buy thick slices, then you can only use 1 slice.
Baby lettuce leaves – I buy the packaged ready-to eat mixed leaves. Again, it saves me time as I don’t have to wash it, pat it dry. You can also use other lettuce, if you like.
How many mini sandwiches per person?
This will always depend on several factors such as the age of your guests (e.g. kids will eat less than adults), time of the day and the length of your party.
Another thing to consider is the quantity and number of choices of appetizers or snacks you are planning to prepare. If you are thinking of making only these sandwiches on a stick, then count with 4 pieces per person per hour.
However, if you want to serve other easy appetizers alongside tea sandwiches, you should count with less pieces per head. Say you choose 3 or 4 party foods, so you are planning to make Slow Cooker Spinach Dip, Pear Pomegranate Salsa and Olive Stuffed Cheese Balls.
In that case, you can count with 1-2 mini sandwiches per person per hour as they will have other options so they can choose. Or you can just make a smaller batch – say a test batch to see if your guest will enjoy your finger sandwiches. If yes, you will add them to your menu again next time and increase the quantity or substitute it for something else.
Hope it makes sense for your and helps you plan for your next party or family gathering.
More party food recipe ideas:
- 4 tablespoons Cream Cheese, softened
- 4 teaspoons Mustard, see note 1
- 6 Slices of Bread, see note 2
- 6 Cheddar Cheese, see note 3
- 8 Slices of Deli Ham, see note 4
- Baby Lettuce Leaves, see note 5
- In a bowl, mix cream cheese and mustard until smooth.
- Place 3 slices of bread on your worktop. Spread each with a thin layer of the cream cheese mixture (you should use about ½ of it).
- Now, take 2 slices of cheddar and place these on top of one slice. Add 1 or 2 slices of ham (see note 4) and top this with lettuce. Cover with second slice of bread and top this again with cheese (I only use 1 slice here), ham, lettuce and last slice of bread (spread side facing down). Press down slightly. Repeat the same with other 3 slices.
- Cut each sandwich in half. Stick 6 toothpicks into each half and cut around them. You will get 6 mini sandwiches out of 1 half = 12 mini sandwiches out of 1 sandwich (check the process pictures for better understanding). Sticking the toothpicks in before cutting keeps the fillings from moving and makes it easier to cut the tiny sandwiches.
- Transfer them onto a serving tray and enjoy!
- Mustard - again, use any mustard you like. I used classic French mustard.
- Bread - I used crustless white bread. You can buy any bread you like - can be with crust and you will remove it yourself. It can also be wholegrain.
- Any sliced cheese will work here. My favorite is red cheddar. Mozzarella or Gouda or Edam are also delicious choices.
- Our local supermarket sells very thinly sliced ham (almost paper-thin). If you buy a thick ham, I suggest using only 1 slice per layer instead of 2.
- Baby lettuce leaves - I buy the packaged ready-to eat mixed leaves, You can also use other lettuce, if you like.
- 24 mini sandwiches are ready in 10 minutes so they are very quick to make, but if you would like to prepare them ahead, you will need to store them in an air-tight container in the fridge. Otherwise the top bread layer will dry out. You could prep them the night before, but I recommend only a few hours for best results.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 64 Total Fat: 4g Saturated Fat: 2g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 1g Cholesterol: 12mg Sodium: 180mg Carbohydrates: 4g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 1g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 4g