These Parmesan puff pastry breadsticks are quick and easy which makes them the perfect appetizer or snack for any occasion. Serve them on their own, with soups or dip of your choice!
This is an easy puff pastry breadsticks recipe, perfect for beginner cooks who are looking for easy homemade appetizer recipes or quick bread stick recipes from scratch.
While they are best enjoyed right away, you can bake them ahead of time (1 day in advance) and keep them in an air-tight container on your kitchen counter until ready to serve.
How to make puff pastry breadsticks with Parmesan and rosemary
Unfold the puff pastry and roll it out thin (if not using ready-rolled).
Brush it with olive oil and sprinkle with salt, pepper, Parmesan powder and rosemary. Press it down lightly with a rolling pin.
When ready, cut it into thin slices and transfer onto a baking tray/cookie tray lined with baking parchment, leaving small gaps in between each one of them.
Then all you have to do is bake them until they are puffed and nice golden brown.
These puff pastry breadsticks only need a few minutes in the oven. That is why it is important to babysit them when making them for the first time.
Also, keep in mind that the baking time may vary slightly. This will depend on how thick your Parmesan breadsticks are rolled out and as well on the type of pastry or your oven.
What puff pastry should I use?
You can use a frozen or fresh one. Frozen puff pastry needs to be thawed first. Both will need to be rolled out unless they have already been pre-rolled.
I recommend using a brand that you have already good experience with. While I use regularly both fresh and frozen pastry, I noticed that have better and more consistent results with the fresh variety.
Tips for making the best breadsticks with puff pastry
- These quick breadsticks only need a little bit of salt as parmesan is salty enough, so don’t over-season them.
- I don’t recommend substituting rosemary for other herbs as rosemary gives the best flavor to these quick puff pastry breadsticks.
- Use a pizza cutter to cut the breadsticks, if you have one! It only takes seconds.
More easy puff pastry appetizers:
- Puff Pastry Brie Bites
- Smoked Salmon Puffs
- Bacon Puff Pastry Twists
- Ham and Jalapeno Pinwheels
- Parmesan Asparagus Pastry Twists
- 1 puff pastry, thawed (1/2 pound/250 grams), see note 1
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, see note 2
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon parmesan powder, see note 3
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 Fahrenheit (200 Celsius).
- Unfold the puff pastry and roll it out thin (if not using ready-rolled).
- Brush it with olive oil and sprinkle with salt, pepper, Parmesan powder and rosemary. Press it down lightly with a rolling pin.
- Cut it into thin slices (0.5-inch/1.5-centimetre). Mine were 8-inch/20-centimetre long, but you can cut them into any length you like. Transfer them onto a baking sheet lined with baking parchment, leaving small gaps between them.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 400 Fahrenheit (200 Celsius) for 8 minutes or until puffed and golden brown (see note 5).
- Fresh pastry can also be used.
- Extra virgin olive oil can be substituted with regular olive oil. I don’t recommend using another type of oil. You might need less/more oil – you want to cover the whole surface of the pastry.
- Parmesan can be substituted with Grana Padano or Pecorino. If you use pecorino, you can omit the salt completely, as the cheese is quite salty.
- The number of sticks will vary. This will depend on how large your pastry is as well as how thin you cut the sticks.
- When making these for the first time, I recommend keeping an eye on them as the baking time may vary from oven to oven/puff pastry to puff pastry. They should all be puffed and golden brown on top. Bake them less rather than more to avoid overcooking.
- For serving suggestions, more tips, detailed explanations or if in doubt, please read the full post above this recipe card.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 22Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 38mgCarbohydrates: 1gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 0g