Brussels sprouts wrapped in bacon and drizzled with honey are the perfect appetizer for Thanksgiving or Christmas. With easy prep and simple ingredients, this recipe should be on your holiday menu!
Plus, these roasted brussels sprouts with bacon can be served as a side as well!
How to make brussels sprouts wrapped in bacon
Tools you will need:
- Baking parchment or aluminum foil – for a mess-free cleanup (optional)
- Baking tray/sheet or oven dish
- Large bowl
- Brussels sprouts
- Salt and pepper
- Garlic powder
- Olive oil
All you need to do is prep the sprouts by cleaning them, removing some outer leaves, and cutting off the bottom hard part. Next, you put them in a bowl, add oil and seasoning and toss them well.
Wrap bacon around and secure with a toothpick. Drizzle with a little honey and bake until ready (full recipe below)!
Serve them with a dip of your choice. Our favorite is garlic dip) but ranch dip will also work just as well! Thai sweet chili sauce is another option.
Pair them with lighter appetizers (like a cheese board with lots of fresh veggies and fruits) or anything you like (below more ideas)
What does this brussels sprout appetizer contain?
Gluten – NO
Nuts – NO
Eggs – NO
Dairy – NO
Meat – YES
Frequently asked questions
What bacon should I use?
Use preferably thin-cut bacon. Also, some slices are quite wide so I like to cut each in half (length-wise). If they are too long, cut them in half cross-wise.
How long to cook brussels sprouts in the oven?
The cooking time can vary and this will depend on their size and on your oven. In general, count with 15 minutes. Check for doneness and if not ready, cook them longer.
How do I know the sprouts are cooked?
The easiest way is to take a toothpick and pierce one of the largest brussels sprouts through. If it goes easily in, they are ready!
- If you have brussels sprouts that are very large, don’t worry! Simply cut each in half.
- Paprika can be substituted with smoked paprika or cayenne pepper (use less though to avoid being it extra spicy).
- Optional: Spread some mustard over the bacon before wrapping!
- Instead of honey, you can use maple syrup or agave syrup.
What other easy appetizers can I make?
- Baked olives – You can’t go wrong with this appetizer!
- Stuffed celery – Easy peasy and ready in no time.
- Mini cheeseburgers – For meat lovers.
- Spicy Deviled Eggs – Because why not!
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts
- a drizzle of olive oil (about a tablespoon)
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- salt, to taste, see note 1
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper, or to taste
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder, or to taste
- thin-cut bacon slices, see note 2
- Preheat oven to 400 Fahrenheit/200 Celsius. Line a baking tray with baking parchment.
- Prep the brussels sprouts by trimming off the stem and removing a few outer leaves. Rinse them under running water.
- Place them in a large bowl. Add oil and sprinkle paprika, salt, pepper, and garlic powder over. Toss them until they are all covered in the seasoning.
- Cut each bacon slice in half, either lengthwise (if too wide) or crosswise (if too long), and wrap around brussels sprouts (If using very large brussels sprouts, simply cut them in half).
- Secure them with a toothpick, place them onto the baking tray. Drizzle the sprouts with honey.
- Bake at 400 Fahrenheit/200 Celsius for 15 minutes or until cooked through (and the bacon is crispy), turning them around halfway through.
- Serve with a dip of your choice (a few ideas can be found in the post).
- Be quite generous, somewhere between ½ teaspoon to ¾ teaspoon should be perfect.
- The quantity will depend on the size of the brussels sprouts. Count with about 12 ounces (350 grams).
- Cooking time will vary, depending on the size of your brussels sprouts as well as your oven. However, count for about 15 minutes and check by inserting a toothpick inside the largest one. If it goes in easily, the brussels sprouts are done. I tried different cooking times and cooked them for 30 minutes. At that stage, they were completely mushy and we did not like the texture. However, I recommend you taste one just to be sure you like it.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 52Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 3mgSodium: 134mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 2gSugar: 1gProtein: 3g