Easy stuffed celery sticks are ready on your table in minutes which makes them the perfect last-minute appetizers for any party or family gathering.
Celery and cream cheese go well together and when more flavorful ingredients are added you can be sure this easy-to-make appetizer will disappear quickly from your table.
They are easy and quick to make, but If you are really stuck for time, serve the filling as a dip and celery sticks as dippers. Easy-peasy! Plus, they also make a great snack.
Only 7 ingredients and less than a 10-minute prep time!
- Make sure to wash celery stalks/ribs well. It is also important to pat them dry with paper kitchen towels before filling them.
- Sprinkle paprika and black pepper on top for extra flavor. Cayenne pepper works also well!
- Pecans add a ton of flavor to the filling mixture so be sure to use them. As an alternative, walnuts can be used.
- Pecorino can be substituted with parmesan or gran Padano.
- The filling/dip for celery should be on the saltier side (Pecorino does the trick here), otherwise, celery sticks will taste bland.
- Red onion is milder than the white or yellow kind and works so well here. However, you can use what you have on hand. Also, feel free to add more/less, if you like but always taste the mixture first before adding more.
Can I make stuffed celery ahead?
You can make the cream cheese mixture ahead and store it in an airtight container in the fridge overnight.
Prepping celery ahead is also possible – again, make sure to keep the sticks either in a Ziploc bag or sealed container in the fridge.
Assembling only takes about 5 minutes.
More appetizers for family gatherings you might like to try:
- 6 large celery stalks, ends trimmed off and cut into 4 pieces, see note 1
- 4 ounces cream cheese, about ½ cup (120 grams)
- ½ small red onion, (about ¼ cup chopped)
- ¼ cup pecans (25 grams)
- ⅓ cup pecorino cheese powder (35 grams), see note 2
- paprika, for sprinkling
- black pepper, for sprinkling
- In a food processor, process cream cheese, onion, pecans and pecorino.
- With a spoon, fill each celery cavity with a cream cheese mixture.
- Sprinkle with paprika and black pepper and serve!
- Make sure to wash and dry the celery stalks first. Each should be at least 10-inch (26-centimeter) long. If you have way shorter ones, you will need more. Cut them into about 3-inch (7-centimeter) long bites.
- Pecorino can be substituted with Gran Padano or Parmesan. Instead of ⅓ cup, you can use ¼ cup to lower the calorie intake. Also, you can grate it yourself, but you might need slightly more.
- It’s good to over-season the cheese filling as the celery will balance off the saltiness. If you under-season, these stuffed celery bites might taste bland.
- This recipe can be easily doubled.
- More tips and appetizer recipe ideas can be found in the post above this recipe card.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 32Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 6mgSodium: 44mgCarbohydrates: 1gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 1g