Ham roll ups are easy bite-size appetizers that require only 5 ingredients. They are quick to put together but can also be made in advance, if needed.
This ham roll ups use the ham as a wrapper, which makes them also gluten-free, as no flour tortillas are used.
How to make ham roll ups with cheese?
In a bowl, combined all the ingredients (chives, cream cheese, cheddar and pepper). Spread a thin layer of this filling on to each slice of ham and roll tight.
Wrap them in aluminum foil or transfer to an airtight container and chill for 30 minutes. During this time the cheese should harden enough so it’s easier to cut into slices.
The quantity of ham and cheese roll ups you get out of this may vary. This will depend on the size of the pieces and also on the size of ham.
The smaller the slices, the more cut offs you will get which is fine when you make these for yourself and family, but if you want to serve them at a party, you might go for a larger ham slices.
And, if you are looking for more appetizer recipes that are easy to make, you might also like these Mini Sandwiches for Party. They are easy-peasy and can be also made ahead.
I like mixing mild cheddar with cream cheese, but you can use also mozzarella or gouda, if you like.
Tips for making the best cheese and ham roll ups
- These ham roll ups don’t need adding any salt as all the ingredients are salty enough. If you are on a low sodium diet, this might not be the right appetizer recipe for you as you can’t control the amount of salt used. You could try looking for a ham that contains low levels of sodium though.
- Don’t substitute fresh chives with dried. It will not be the same! You could use the green parts of spring onions as a substitution (make sure to finely chop them).
- Make sure the cheese layer is not thick as it can be overpowering. You want the right balance between the ham and filling.
- You can serve these ham roll ups with toothpicks or cocktail sticks, if you like!
Here are some warm appetizers ideas for you:
- Instant Pot Cocktail Meatballs
- Slow Cooker Spinach Artichoke Dip
- Slow Cooker Sweet and Spicy Meatballs
- Air Fryer Sticky Chicken Wings
- 1/3 cup Finely Chopped Chives
- 4 ounces Cream Cheese (1/2 cup/120 grams)
- 3 ounces Grated Red Cheddar, see note
- Black Pepper, a generous pinch
- 4 Slices Deli Ham
- In a bowl, mix together chives, cream cheese, cheddar and black pepper until well combined.
- Spread a thin layer over a slice of ham. Take the shorter end of ham and roll it tight into a sausage. Repeat until you have used up all the filling. Place the rolls into an airtight container or wrap them in aluminum foil and chill for 30 minutes.
- When chilled, cut each roll into about 1-inch (2.5-centimetre) thick bites.
- You get filling enough for 4 slices. Don’t overfill them as the cheese can make them quite salty.
- Instead of grated cheddar, you can use mozzarella or gouda.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 41Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 11mgSodium: 93mgCarbohydrates: 0gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 2g