This is an easy blue cheese dip recipe without mayonnaise. 5-ingredients and 5-minutes is all it takes to make it. This quick cold appetizer can be used in so many ways! Find out how below.
If you are looking for an easy dip for celery sticks or blue cheese dip for chicken wings, then this is a great recipe to try. You can also serve this appetizer with other dippers (more ideas can be found below).
How to make blue cheese dip
In a bowl, combine together crumbled cheese, finely chopped chives, sour cream and a pinch of black pepper. Make sure you mix everything well.
Then, add lemon juice and give everything a good mix again. Taste it and add more lemon juice or pepper. You might not need to use salt at all as the cheese itself is very salty as is. It is up to you.
What to serve with blue cheese dip?
- Buffalo chicken wings
- Celery sticks
- Roasted chestnuts
- Roasted vegetables (i.e. asparagus)
- You can make blue cheese dip without sour cream, if you prefer. Just use plain Greek yogurt (unsweetened) or natural yogurt (unsweetened) instead.
- Instead of chives, you can use finely chopped spring onion.
- To thin this blue cheese dip, you can use milk. I did not as the juice from lemon was enough.
- I used freshly squeezed lemon juice to achieve the best flavor and I recommend you use the same.
More appetizer recipe ideas for your next party or family gathering
- Slow Cooker Spinach Artichoke Dip
- Bread Dipping Oil
- Garlic Cheddar Cheese Dip can be also used as a spread and it tastes so good on bruschetta. Plus, it only takes minutes to make it and it can be made ahead, if needed.
- Mini Sandwiches are tasty mini appetizers and what is great about them is the fact that they are quick to make, look pretty and crowds love them.
- 1.5 cups crumbled blue cheese (170 grams)
- sour cream (200 grams), see note 2
- ⅛ cup finely chopped fresh chives, see note 3
- a pinch of black pepper
- ½ small lemon, juice only
- salt (optional)
- In a bowl (a soup bowl should be large enough), combine crumbled cheese, sour cream, chopped chives and black pepper. Mix everything until well combined.
- Add lemon juice and mix again. Taste it (see note 1) and add more lemon juice, black pepper if needed. Add salt only if you feel it’s needed. The cheese is salty enough so you should not be needing any or just a little.
- The cheese consistency and taste can vary from brand to brand. Some have a very sharp taste, while others are milder. Some are softer while others might be harder. For this reason, you might need to adjust the quantities of some of the ingredients to your liking.
- Sour cream can be substituted with plain unsweetened Greek yogurt or natural yogurt.
- You can use more chives if you like.
- You can thin down this dip with milk, if needed.
- Serving suggestions and more appetizer ideas can be found in the post above this recipe card.
Serving Size:1 tbsp
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 32Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 7mgSodium: 121mgCarbohydrates: 0gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 2g