Simple yet delicious recipe for breaded chicken wings. These oven-baked chicken wings are tender, juicy and full of flavor thanks to seasoning and one ingredient that keeps them from drying out!
If you are looking for oil-free and healthier alternative to crispy fried chicken wings, I recommend trying these breaded chicken wings.
They have a quick prep (less than 10 minutes) and require only a few simple ingredients.
Chicken wings are a popular finger-food appetizer, but you can enjoy them as a main meal with sides of your choice as well.
How to make breaded chicken wings in oven
Coat chicken wings in yogurt (the secret ingredient that will keep any breaded chicken wings juicy on the inside), then coat them in seasoned breadcrumbs and bake until ready. It is that easy!
Beginner cooks should keep in mind that cooking time will vary. This depends on a few factors from your oven, to size of chicken wings as well as position of tray in the oven.
I bake them usually about 25-30 minutes. However, they can take somewhere between 20-40 minutes. For that reason, it is good to check the chicken wings a few times throughout the cooking. I recommend using a food thermometer, if not sure.
The internal temperature of breaded chicken wings (or any wings) must reach 165 Fahrenheit (74 Celsius), but I like keeping them in the oven for a bit longer, just to be on a safe side. The meat gets only better.
What to serve with chicken wings?
Dips – my favorite is a simple garlic dip that compliments these oven-baked chicken wings so well. It takes minutes to put it together and you can customize it to your liking. If you have more time on hands, why not make garlic aioli instead?
Crusty bread or French baguette – for those that like some bread options on the table. Or go the extra mile and make focaccia too!
Salad of your choice – Wedge salad has it all! It’s light, good for you and tastes so good with dressing and bacon pieces! Tossed salad is also a great option, but it literally depends on what you and your guests like so feel free to make anything.
If you like to try new flavors and also avoid deep frying chicken wings, you might like some of these chicken wings recipes. Made in the oven or air fryer, they are definitely better for you but still having a ton of flavor:
- Orange Chicken Wings
- Sticky Chicken Wings – made in an air fryer but can be easily done in an oven.
- Baked Buffalo Chicken Wings – this recipe includes instructions for deep-frying as well!
- ½ cup unsweetened Greek yogurt (120 milliliters), see note 1
- 1 pound chicken wings (450 grams), drumettes and flats only
- ⅔ cup breadcrumbs (80 grams), see note 2
- 1 teaspoon celery salt, see note 3
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional), see note 4
- Preheat oven to 400 Fahrenheit (200 Celsius) and line a baking tray/sheet with baking parchment.
- Pour yogurt into a Ziploc bag (or mixing bowl) and add chicken wings in. Coat them in yogurt and set aside.
- Use another Ziploc bag to mix breadcrumbs, celery salt, paprika, thyme and cayenne. When ready, place one or two wings inside and shake until they are well covered with breadcrumbs.
- Transfer onto the baking tray and repeat with the rest of the chicken wings.
- Bake them in a preheated oven at 400 Fahrenheit (200 Celsius) for 30 minutes or until done and to your liking (see note 5).
- Enjoy warm with a dip of your choice!
- If your Greek yogurt is very thick, thin it slightly with a splash of milk. Natural unsweetened yogurt can also be used instead of Greek yogurt.
- I used fine breadcrumbs here. You can use panko breadcrumbs instead.
- Table salt can be used instead of celery salt.
- Cayenne pepper is optional. You can omit it completely or use less/more, if you like.
- For smaller chicken wings, you might need less time. If not sure your chicken wings are done, please use a food thermometer. The internal temperature should reach at least 165 Fahrenheit (74 Celsius).
- This recipe can be easily doubled, tripled…
- The yogurt and breadcrumb mixture should be enough for 10-12 chicken wings.
- More detailed tips and serving suggestions can be found in the post above this recipe card.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 163Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 33mgSodium: 308mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 9g