Looking for quick appetizers ready in 15 minutes or less? Try this ham and pickle roll ups recipe! It’s easy and crowds love these pickle appetizers. This post includes tips on how to make the best pickle roll ups, possible substitutions and add-ons!
How to make ham and pickle roll ups
Take a tortilla, spread cream cheese over, sprinkle it with some fresh dill (this is completely optional) and place a few ham slices on one side (half) of the tortilla. Top it with pickles and roll into a sausage.
It’s important to roll them as tight as possible. You can enjoy these ham and cream cheese roll ups with pickles straight away, but you can also prep them ahead, if needed.
Can you make ham and pickle roll ups the night before?
You can, but bear in mind that the tortillas will go slightly soggy in the fridge. Some people like it (like my husband), some don’t (like me). So, it is entirely up to you.
I would recommend making them only a few hours ahead, if possible. You only need about 12 minutes to make 32 pieces, so why not make the pickle rollups an hour (or 2,3) before your party/get-together starts.
Tips for making the best ham and pickle roll ups
- Dry the pickles with paper kitchen towel before rolling them to get rid any excess liquid.
- Feel free to use any pickles you like! They can be store-bought or homemade pickles. Make sure to use what you like! And, if you can, choose large ones (not extra-large though) and not very crooked looking ones. They can be sweet, sour, dill pickles – anything really. I like sweet pickles and that is what I used to make these ham rollups with pickle.
- You could also stir some horseradish in the cream cheese for an extra kick!
- What about using thinly sliced salami or roast beef instead of ham?
- Cream cheese can be substituted with other store-bought spread – why not try some herb spread or maybe Laughing Cow cheese?
You could also omit tortillas completely and spread the cheese onto the ham and wrap this around a pickle. It would also make them gluten-free. I know many people enjoy them that way, but I prefer pickle roll ups with tortilla and that’s what I make for gatherings.
What other quick appetizers to serve at my party?
This blog is all about quick and easy appetizers so hopefully you will find some inspiration here.
The best thing about all these finger food recipes is their quick prep time – with 15 minutes or less you can whip up various tasty snacks that not only look but also taste good!
So guys, I hope you give these ham rollups with pickles (or other finder food recipes) a go, and if you do, please let me know in the comments section!
- 4 Tortillas (8-inch/20 centimeters wide)
- 8 tablespoons Cream Cheese, see note 4
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped Fresh Dill, optional
- Pickles, drained & pat dry, see note 5
- 8 slices Ham, see note 6
- Place one tortilla on a chopping board or clean worktop. Spread about 1.5-2 tablespoons of cream cheese over. Sprinkle with fresh dill.
- Place two slices of ham on one half of the tortilla and put pickles on top. Roll tightly into a sausage and cut into slices (as thin-thick as you like. I prefer thinner, rather than thicker).
- Secure with a toothpick and place onto a serving plate.
- Please take this number as a guide only. You can get more or less than I got.
- You don’t need to use skewers/toothpicks if you don’t want to!
- For more tips and substitution ideas, please read the full post above this recipe card.
- You will need about 1.5-2 tablespoons of cream cheese per tortilla. To reduce fat, you can go down to 1 tablespoon, but I would not recommend using less than that.
- Use any pickles you like - homemade, store-bought, sweet, sour or dill pickles. I used German pickles. Buy more rather than less - some might be too crooked to use - you are after the straight looking ones. You can also trim the ends, if you like.
- Use any deli ham you like. You might need more/less ham that I used. This will depend on its size. I used 2 slices per tortilla (8.5 ounces/240 grams for 4 tortillas).
- These can be made several hours ahead, if needed. Store in the fridge, possibly in an air-tight container.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 56Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 14mgSodium: 250mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 5g