Homemade oven baked tortilla chips are an easy and healthy snack. Their prep only takes minutes and so does the baking. They go so well with all sorts of dips!
How to make oven baked tortilla chips
Stack the tortillas on top of each other. Cut them into quarters and each quarter into thirds. This way, you will end up with 48 chips which should be enough for about 6-8 people.
Place them onto a large baking tray lined with baking parchment. Try to spread them around so that they are not stack on top of each other much. Then, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
Bake them in a preheated oven until they turn nice golden brown on the edges or until they look to your liking.
Just note that they go very quickly from done to burnt. They can be ready in 6-10 minutes so keep an eye on them.
They can also be deep-fried, if that’s what you prefer. I tried it once but found them way too oily to our liking. Also, if you decide to fry them, make sure not to burn them as the same as these oven baked tortilla chips, they go very quickly from being done to being burnt.
What to serve with oven baked tortilla chips?
Tips for making oven baked tortilla chips
- It does not really matter what size your flour tortillas are. Just cut them into bite-size pieces.
- The chips will harden as they cool down.
- This oven baked tortilla chips recipe can be easily doubled or halved. When making a larger amount, I recommend baking them in batches so that each tortilla chip can turn crispy.
- If you have a pizza cutter, use it to cut the tortillas into triangles. If you don’t, use a knife!
- These oven baked tortilla chips are made using flour tortillas. I haven’t tried making oven baked corn tortillas because they are not my favorite.
- 4 Flour Tortillas
- Salt and Black Pepper to Taste
- 1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil (See note 2)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F/200°C.
- Stack all tortillas on top of each other. Cut with a knife or pizza cutter into quarters. Then each quarter into thirds.
- When ready, place them onto a baking tray lined with baking parchments. If possible, spread them around so that they don’t overlap too much.
- Drizzle them with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and black pepper.
- Bake them at 400°F/200°C for about 7 minutes or until the edges turn nice golden brown.
- Let them cool down completely before serving.
- Serve with dip of your choice.
- I used 7-inch/18-cm tortillas. Large or smaller ones can be also used.
- You can use extra virgin or cooking olive oil.
- If you use more tortillas, bake them in 2 (or more) batches. They are ready in about 7 minutes but too many on one tray will result in them not getting as crispy as you would like.
- This recipe yields 48 tortilla chips which should be enough for at least 6 people.
- These tortilla chips will harden as they cool down.
- For more tips please read the whole post.
- The baking time may vary so I recommend keeping an eye on them especially when making them for the first time.
- Kitchy Pizza Cutter Wheel - Super Sharp and Easy To Clean Slicer, Kitchen Gadget with Protective Blade Guard (Green)
- Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil by Sky Organics 17oz- 100% Pure, Greek, Cold Pressed, Unfiltered, Non-GMO EVOO- For Cooking, Baking, Hair & Skin moisturizing- Award Winning Best USDA Organic Olive Oil
Appetizer Addiction is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 79
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: