A fancy looking appetizer that is ready in minutes! Caprese salad bites are easy to make and crowds love them. These refreshing bites are drizzled with olive oil, secured with a stick and served in a mini glass.
Caprese salad bites are perfect for those who have limited time for making homemade appetizer or anyone who wants to impress their guests. Would you believe that you can make 12 caprese salad bites in less than 5 minutes?
Plus, if you are looking for more fancy appetizers, I have some for you:
Honey Pistachio Goat Cheese Log – This must be one of the easiest appetizers to make. All you have to do is roll the cheese in chopped pistachios!
Bacon Wrapped Dates are also easy to make bites that take literally minutes to put together.
Parmesan Asparagus Pastry Twists – If you like asparagus, this may be your next favorite thing. Ready in less tan 30 minutes!
Caprese salad bites can be served at picnics, family gatherings, DIY wedding buffets, BBQ ….
What is Caprese salad?
It is one of the simplest salads out there. This Italian classic contains of mozzarella, fresh basil, tomatoes, olive oil and seasoning.
Why is it called Caprese salad?
Insalata Caprese literally means salad of Capri (fyi: Capri is a beautiful Italian island in the Tyrrhenian Sea).
Making Mini Caprese salad bites
Turn this delicious Italian entrée into something different and serve it at your next party or family gathering.
Because caprese salad bites contain only a few ingredients, it is important to choose the best ones. Use cherry tomatoes that are ripe. I also suggest investing in a good quality olive oil. You will taste the difference, trust me.
Serving Caprese salad bites
There are many options. Mini plastic shot glasses, small plastic catering glasses or if you don’t have these, use a round plate and arrange them neatly. You can also use larger glasses – say whiskey tumblers where you can fit 3-4 of these.
To secure these easy appetizers all you have to do is use a toothpick. If you want them look fancy, then try finding some cool looking sticks – like the ones I used in these photos.
Can I make these ahead?
If you store them in the fridge, you can make them up to 2-3 hours ahead. However, for best results (and best food experience) I prefer serving Caprese salad bites within hour of making.
Remember, you only need 4 minutes to make 12 pieces! Plus, it’s only assembling a few things together and you are done!
- I used just extra virgin olive oil to add some flavor to them but you can drizzle them with a few drops of Balsamic vinegar or Balsamic reduction, if you like.
- My favorite way of serving these mini caprese appetizers is in small glasses. They hold the olive oil that normally would end up on the serving plate. This way, you can slightly dip the bite in it.
- These mini caprese salad bites are delicious on their own but I suggest that you serve them alongside other tasty appetizers. Dips, bites… anything you like. It’s always good to have a selection of 3 different appetizer so every person finds something they like.
- If you would like more quick recipes, I recommend trying 5-minute Artichoke Dip. It is another delicious appetizer that is ready in no time!
- 12 Cherry Tomatoes, ripe
- 12 Mini Mozzarella Balls, drained
- 12 Fresh Basil Leaves, rinsed
- Salt & Black Pepper to Taste
- A drizzle of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Wash the cherry tomatoes and pat them dry with paper kitchen towel.
- Place one onto a work top, add basil leaf and mozzarella on top of it. Secure this with a stick and place onto a place. Repeat with the rest of the ingredients.
- When done, season each mozzarella ball with black pepper. Place each bite into a shot glass/small plastic cup, season with salt and drizzle with olive oil.
- Best served right away!
- You will get 12 appetizers out of this recipe. If counting with 2-3 bites per person, you would feed 4-6 people. I recommend serving these alongside other appetizers.
- I highly recommend using good quality ingredients here – extra virgin olive oil and tomatoes. Make sure the tomatoes are ripe but not gone off. Taste one to make sure they are OK.
- Balsamic vinegar/balsamic reduction can also be drizzled on top of each bite (if you like).
- These caprese bites cannot be made well in advance but you can keep them in the fridge up to 3 hours. After 3 hours the mozzarella balls start drying out.
- Prexware 6 Inch Bamboo Knot Skewers, Twisted Ends Bamboo Picks Cocktail Picks 100 Ct.
- Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil by Sky Organics 17oz - 100% Pure, Greek, Cold Pressed, Unfiltered, Non-GMO EVOO - Award Winning Best USDA Organic Olive Oil
Appetizer Addiction is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and links to Amazon.com
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 99