Crispy on the outside and soft on the inside these fried zucchini bites can be served as a side or appetizer! They are best enjoyed warm with a sauce or dip of your choice.
Guys, if you like fried appetizers, then you have to give these fried zucchini bites a go!
How to make fried zucchini bites
Prep the zucchini by cutting it into slices. Then place each slice onto a few layers of paper kitchen towel and season generously with salt. Let them sit for a few minutes. Don’t skip this step: It is an important step because the salt draws out the moisture.
After a few minutes you will see tiny droplets of water on the zucchini surface. Dry them with paper kitchen towels.
Then get 3 bowls. They don’t have to be large as these zucchini bites are small in size. In one bowl combine breadcrumbs and Italian seasoning. In second bowl, combine together flour and Parmesan cheese. Either shredded or in powder.
The last bowl is for the egg. Beat it well with a fork and add little water (or milk). About a table spoon should be enough.
Now coat the zucchini slices in flour, then in egg and finally in breadcrumbs.
When you have done all the prep, heat the oil and fry the zucchini bites until nice golden brown on both sides.
What sauce to serve with fried zucchini bites
There are many choices and frankly it is entirely up to you. I personally like serving these fried zucchini bites with Sour Cream and Chive Dip. Aioli dip is also a tasty option.
If you don’t feel like making those, just use plain ketchup or ketchup mixed with mayonnaise and pressed garlic.
Other appetizer ideas for your party/gathering:
Tips for making fried zucchini bites:
- You can double coat each bite if you are after a thick crispy breadcrumb layer. For this you will need extra breadcrumbs and egg. Note that there is no need to double coat in flour anymore.
- The best oil for frying is the one with a high smoking point like sunflower or vegetable oil.
- The frying time may vary, depending on the size of your slices. Just check for nice golden brown color.
- I used Homemade Italian Seasoning to make these fried. Zucchini bites but if you have store-bought one at home, use it!
- 1 Large Zucchini (see note 1)
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 1 cup Breadcrumbs (150 g)
- 2 tbsp Shredded Parmesan
- ¼ cup All-Purpose Flour (30 g)
- 1 Large Egg
- Oil for frying
- Rinse and pat dry the zucchini. Slice it into chunks. Place the slices onto a few layers of paper kitchen towel and sprinkle generously with salt. Set aside.
- Get 3 bowls. In bowl 1, combine the seasoning and breadcrumbs. In bowl 2, combine the Parmesan cheese and flour. In bowl 3, beat the egg with a tablespoon of water.
- Now pat-dry the zucchini slices (use paper kitchen towels). When done, coat each slice in flour, then dip in egg and then coat in breadcrumbs.
- Heat the oil and fry them on both sides until they are nice golden brown.
- Serve with a dip/sauce of your choice!
- The number of slices you get out of 1 zucchini will vary, depending on its size. Mine was about 9 inch (23 cm) long and weighted 12 ounces (350 g).
- The frying is relatively quick and it takes about 1-2 minutes per side. They will be ready when the breadcrumbs have nice golden brown color.
- Parmesan can be omitted.
- I used about 1½ cups of oil for frying (in a skillet). If might need more than this, especially if using deep-fryer.
- For more tips I recommend checking out the whole post.
- Hamilton Beach (35033) Deep Fryer, With Basket, 2.8 Liter Oil Capacity, Electric, Professional Grade
- Mercer Culinary M22707BL Millennia 7-Inch Granton Edge Santoku Knife, Blue
Appetizer Addiction is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and links to Amazon.com
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 63