Rosemary marinated feta cheese is the perfect make-ahead appetizer. Feta and olive oil are infused with rosemary, lemon peel and chili flakes. Enjoy with anything you like!
What I love about rosemary marinated feta cheese
- Easy to prepare.
- Quick recipe – The prep is done in minutes!
- Make-ahead – make this easy appetizer ahead of time so that the rosemary, chili and lemon peel have time to infuse both the oil and cheese.
- Perfect appetizer for any occasion.
- Versatile use – crumble the marinated cheese over your favorite pasta or chicken dish, add to salads or serve on its own.
This appetizer can be also part of a cheese board. Just toast some slices of French baguette so your guests can smear this marinated goodness on the crunchy crostini toast.
If you like cheese appetizers then I have a few easy ideas for you here:
What tools/equipment you need for rosemary marinated feta recipe
- Glass jar with a lid (make sure the jar is large enough to hold the cheese and oil)
- Chopping knife
- Spoon for mixing
- Chopping board
- Zest peeler or fine grater
How do you make marinated feta cheese with rosemary
Cut the cheese into cubes. Transfer them into a jar and, add chili flakes, rosemary sprig, chopped rosemary leaves and zest from one lemon. Pour olive oil in.
You want to have the cheese submerged in oil so you might need slightly more or less than the amount stated in the recipe.
Marinating can take somewhere from several hours up to several days. The longer you leave the cheese in, the stronger the rosemary flavor.
One of the great things about rosemary marinated feta cheese is the fact that you don’t have to consume it at once. Just take out as many pieces as you like and keep the rest in the fridge.
How do you store feta cheese in olive oil?
Keep it in the fridge at all times. The oil preserves the cheese so as long as it is submerged in oil and the jar is sealed, marinated feta could last up to 2 weeks. We usually consume it within a week though as I like to add it to various dishes. Also make sure to use a clean jar and lid.
Tips for making rosemary marinated feta
- I recommend storing this in the fridge. Note that the oil will harden slightly so you will need to bring it to room temperature before serving. The length of time may vary depending on how thick the oil is and how warm your room is.
- Lemon peel can be substituted with orange peel. It’s better to buy organic oranges or lemons as they should not have any pesticide residue on their skin.
- If you don’t feel like adding chili flakes to this rosemary marinated feta cheese, then omit them.
- Don’t substitute olive oil for any other oil. Extra virgin olive oil is the best choice but if you don’t have it on hand, then use cooking olive oil.
- I used fresh rosemary but you can use thyme instead.
- After you have eaten all the cheese, save the oil for pasta, cooking or a cheese board. I love dipping slices of French baguette.
- 10 oz Feta Cheese (280 g)
- 2 Fresh Rosemary Sprigs
- ½ tsp Chili Flakes
- 2 Lemons, peel only
- 2 cups Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Cut the cheese into cubes and transfer them into a jar.
- Rinse and pat dry the fresh rosemary sprigs. Take one, remove the stem and finely chop the leaves.
- Throw the remaining full sprig into the jar altogether with the chopped leaves, chili flakes and zest from two lemons. Shake slightly so that the herbs are not stuck in one place.
- Pour over the olive oil. Make sure that the cheese is fully submerged. Close the jar and place in the fridge. Let it marinate for at least 24 hours.
- The longer you marinate the cheese the more intense its flavor. Count with at least 24 hours.
- Store the cheese in the fridge. The oil will harden in the fridge so it’s best to take it out and leave on a kitchen counter until it liquefies again before serving.
- The rosemary flavored oil can be used in cooking or when making cheese board. A fresh slice of French baguette dipped in this oil tastes amazing.
- This recipe can be easily halved or doubled.
- For more tips and more detailed explanation I recommend reading the full post.
- I used 1 quart (32 oz/1-liter) jar that was little over half full.
- Instead of chopping the rosemary leaves you can also use pestle and mortar. That way the herb will release more flavor into the oil.
- Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil by Sky Organics 17oz- 100% Pure, Greek, Cold Pressed, Unfiltered, Non-GMO EVOO- For Cooking, Baking, Hair & Skin moisturizing- Award Winning Best USDA Organic Olive Oil
- 1Easylife Stainless Steel Lemon Zester Grater with Channel Knife and Hanging Loop
Appetizer Addiction is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Serving Size:1 oz
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 101
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: