This is an easy recipe for spinach feta stuffed mushrooms. In little over 30 minutes you are ready to serve this easy appetizer that crowds love!
Making spinach feta stuffed mushrooms is not only easy but also quick. The prep doesn’t take longer than 15 minutes and is pretty straightforward.
If you like easy mushroom appetizers, you might also like garlic stuffed mushrooms. They are as easy as these ones.
How to make spinach feta stuffed mushrooms
The first thing to do is clean the mushrooms thoroughly. Take your time and check each mushroom well to make sure there is no soil/dirt left on the outside or on the inside of the mushrooms.
Many people rinse them under running water but I prefer peeling them. Especially, when I am going to use them to make bite-size appetizers.
Another way is cleaning them with a damp cloth. This post: How to clean mushrooms is pretty informative and tells you how to do it for both button mushrooms and morels.
The filling consists of 3 ingredients – feta cheese, sauteed spinach and garlic. There is no need to add extra salt as the cheese is salty enough to flavor these stuffed mushrooms.
Sauteing is pretty quick. It only takes about 2 minutes once the oil is hot enough. About a minute into sauteing, stir in pressed garlic. Continue stirring, you don’t want the garlic to burn.
Useful tips when making spinach feta stuffed mushrooms
- This recipe yields 12 pieces. This can serve from 2 up to 4 people. I recommend serving them with other easy appetizer ideas like potato leek soup shooters or parmesan asparagus pastry twists.
- Sometimes fresh spinach leaves may also contain a lot of hard stems. You can remove these if you prefer.
- This recipe can be easily doubled or halved. You can end up with extra filling. This will depend on the size of the mushrooms you bought. Large ones will need more filling than tiny ones. I try avoiding very tiny ones. They take longer to clean and you can’t stuff much of the filling inside.
- Baking time can also vary from oven to oven. Large mushrooms (about the size of a golf ball) will also need more time in the oven than smaller ones. Medium mushrooms take about 20 minutes.
- Spinach feta stuffed mushrooms are delicious either warm or cold.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups fresh spinach, packed (60 grams)
- 3.5 ounces feta cheese (100 grams)
- 1 garlic clove
- 12 button mushrooms
- Preheat the oven to 400°F/200°C.
- Heat the oil in a skillet/frying pan. Add spinach and saute for about a minute before adding pressed garlic. Stir constantly for a further minute or until the spinach is completely wilted. Remove from the heat.
- Either clean the mushrooms with a damp cloth or peel their skin off.
- In a small bowl, combine the sauteed spinach and crumbled feta (use a fork).
- Fill each mushroom with about a teaspoon of the filling. Place them onto a baking tray and bake at 400°F/200°C for 20 minutes or until to your liking.
- Serve warm or cold.
- Extra virgin olive oil can be substituted with virgin olive oil/cooking olive oil or sunflower oil.
- Avoid buying mushrooms that are very small as there will not be much space for the filling.
- The recipe can be easily doubled or halved.
- If your spinach leaves have hard stems, you can remove these.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 37Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 7mgSodium: 80mgCarbohydrates: 1gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 2g