These grilled teriyaki chicken skewers are delicious appetizers that can be made either on an outdoor or indoor electric grill. Using chicken thighs make these mini chicken kabobs extra juicy.
To make teriyaki chicken on a stick, I am using a store-bought teriyaki marinade and because it already contains some sodium, I am adding only a little amount of salt.
However, you can just test-grill one skewer and give it a taste test to see if it’s salty enough for you.
How to make teriyaki chicken skewers
Get a bowl that is large enough to hold a pound of chicken pieces. You can either dice them or cut into strips. To this, add teriyaki marinade, honey, fresh ginger, cornstarch, salt and pepper and mix well.
Thread onto skewers. I prefer not to over-crowd the skewers so that the chicken pieces have plenty of space and cook more evenly.
How to grill chicken skewers
Like I’ve already mentioned, you can grill them using an outdoor or indoor grill. These teriyaki chicken kabobs are quite small, so the cooking is relatively quick and because I am using thighs instead of chicken breasts, they don’t dry out easily.
Tips for making the best chicken teriyaki skewers
- When treading the meat pieces onto the skewers, try to leave little spaces in between the meat. This is important, as it does help with even cooking. Also, the thicker the pieces, the longer their cooking time.
- Every grill is different, so keep an eye on these teriyaki chicken skewers when making them for the first time. Like you can see on the photos and in the video, I am using a small indoor grill, which makes the cooking process quicker.
More appetizer recipes you might like:
Check out our video for how to make Grilled Teriyaki Chicken Skewers:
For Teriyaki Skewers:
- 1 pound Chicken Thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons Teriyaki Marinade/Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Honey
- 1 teaspoon Grated Fresh Ginger
- 1 tablespoon Cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon Black Pepper
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
For Teriyaki Glaze:
- 2 tablespoons Teriyaki Sauce/Marinade
- 1 teaspoon Low Sodium Soy Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Honey
- ¼ cup Water (or more, if needed)
For Cornstarch Slurry:
- 1 teaspoon Cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons Water
- Sesame Seed
- Cut the thighs into 1-inch (2.5 centimetre) pieces. Place them into a mixing bowl. Add the rest of the ingredients and stir well (I love using kitchen tongs to mix this).
- Thread the pieces onto skewers (fill about 4 inches/12 centimetres of each skewer), making sure to leave little gaps between the meat for more even cooking.
- Cook on a grill until ready (see note 1).
- Meanwhile: In a sauce pan, combine teriyaki sauce, honey, soy sauce and water and simmer on low for about 2 minutes. Slowly pour in cornstarch slurry (1 teaspoon of cornstarch mixed with 2 teaspoons of water), while mixing constantly until it has thickened. Once it comes to a boil, turn off.
- Brush each skewer with some of the sauce and sprinkle (optional) with sesame seeds.
- I used an indoor electric grill. It does not show a temperature, but it takes about 5 minutes per batch. You can use any grill (outdoor, griddle, grill pan, ...) but make sure to check if they are cooked through as the cooking time will vary. It will also depend on how thick the skewers are. Use a food thermometer, if needed (it should read 165 Fahrenheit/74 Celsius in the thickest part).
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 168Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 49mgSodium: 818mgCarbohydrates: 8gFiber: 1gSugar: 6gProtein: 10g