This is a simple recipe for orange marmalade chicken wings made in air fryer. This recipe uses simple ingredients and can be doubled or tripled. This post includes tips and useful information for best air fryer orange chicken wings!
Whether you are looking for tasty Super Bowl Appetizers, or just a tasty recipe for chicken wings, I recommend giving these air fryer orange chicken wings a go!
How to make orange chicken wings in air fryer
First, season the wings with oil, salt and pepper. Then pour over a simple orange marinade made with orange marmalade, BBQ sauce, honey, orange juice and ketchup.
I transfer these into my air fryer (I also preheat mine for 4 minutes) and I don’t add any oil anymore. Just turn them over halfway through.
While they are cooking, I reduce the leftover marinade/sauce on a stove top by bringing it to a boil and then, reducing the heat and simmering it for about 10 minutes. It needs an occasional stirring.
When the chicken wings are ready, I combine them with the sauce and serve them right away! They are delicious.
If you don’t have an air fryer, you can cook them in the oven or try our Baked Buffalo Chicken Wings (instructions for both oven and frying).
Air fryer chicken wings cook time
Please note that the cooking time may vary from brand to brand and also it will depend on the size of your wings. I recommend preheating your air fryer first. If you don’t, they will need more time.
In general count with 15-25 minutes (I usually go with 20 minutes at 400 Fahrenheit/200 Celsius). If you feel that your wings are burning, reduce the temperature down to 375 Fahrenheit/190 Celsius and cook a few minutes longer.
If not sure, always use a food thermometer to check the internal temperature.
How to keep these air fryer chicken wings warm?
If making these in batches, you can turn on your slow cooker and set it to KEEP WARM and place the wings in there until you are ready to serve!
Tips for making the best orange chicken wings in an air fryer
- I like to place all the wings in a mixing bowl and then I pour some oil over and season them with salt and pepper. Then I toss all of them around several times until I feel that they are evenly coated in seasoning. You don’t have to do it this way, but it saves some time, especially when you are doubling the recipe as you don’t have to season them one by one.
- If you like to prepare this in advance, you can do so. Simply prep the chicken wings with orange marinade and keep them either in a covered bowl or air-tight container (or ziploc bag) and refrigerate up to a day.
- If you are doubling this recipe, you will need to cook these orange chicken wings in 2 batches. This will ensure an even cooking. Now that being said, they will shrink while cooking so you don’t have to leave huge gaps in between them.
- Sesame seeds and fresh chives are completely optional. You don’t have to use them, if you don’t have them on hand or if you don’t want to.
- Our local store sells fresh chicken wings in a 1.5 pound packages. They are already cut into drumettes and flats, but you can buy whole ones and cut them yourself, if you prefer. Just make sure to get rid of the tips – or freeze them for later – you can use them to make Homemade Chicken Stock.
- I love using kitchen tongs here as I can use them to transfer these party chicken wings from air fryer, they help me to coat the wings with sauce, I even use them for quick stirring sometimes. And I’ve tried several and my favorites are the Kitchen Tongs with Silicon Tips.
More easy recipes that are perfect for all kinds of parties, so whether you are looking for Super Bowl Appetizers or just quick snacks or need last minute party recipes, I’ve got you covered:
- Instant Pot Cocktail Meatballs
- Air Fryer Sticky Chicken Wings
- Bunless Cheeseburger Bites
- BLT Egg Sliders
- Caprese Salad Bites
- 1.5 pound Chicken Wings (650 grams), see note 1
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Black Pepper
- ½ cup Orange Marmalade
- 2 tablespoons BBQ Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Ketchup
- ⅛ cup Orange Juice, see note 2
- 2 tablespoons Honey
- White Sesame Seeds (optional)
- Fresh Chives (optional)
- Preheat the air fryer to 400 Fahrenheit (200 Celsius) for 4 minutes.
- Place the chicken wings into a mixing bowl and pour oil over. Toss them lightly. Season them with salt and pepper and toss them again to achieve an even distribution of the seasoning.
- In a separate bowl (soup bowl is fine), mix together orange marmalade, BBQ sauce, ketchup, orange juice and honey until well combined. Pour this over the chicken wings and mix well.
- Transfer them into a preheated air fryer and cook for 10 minutes before turning them over. Then cook for a further 5-10 minutes or until ready.
- Meanwhile: Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. When the sauce is ready, turn off the heat and set it aside. It will thicken more while cooling down.
- When the chicken wings are ready, transfer them into a bowl and pour the orange sauce over. Mix well, making sure all the wings are coated in it.
- Serve right away!
- Chicken wings - I buy wings that are already cut into drumettes and flats. If you bought whole wings (you will need to buy more than 1.5 pound. I suggest 2-2.5 pounds), you will have to do it yourself. You won’t be needing the tips, but you can use them to make chicken stock.
- If you feel that the marmalade sauce is way too thick, you can add more orange juice, but don’t make it very thin. It’s OK if there are lumps in it.
- Sesame seeds are completely optional.
- Fresh chives are optional and can be omitted.
- You might get more or less pieces, so take this as a guide only.
- The cooking time may vary slightly. There are a few reasons - the size of the wings used as well as type of air-fryer. For best results, keep an eye on them, when making them for the first time. Also, if not sure, use a food thermometer to check the internal temperature of the largest one. If you don’t preheat your air fryer, you will need longer cooking time!
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 312Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 56mgSodium: 538mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 1gSugar: 15gProtein: 12g