Air fryer artichokes are a simple yet delicious appetizer perfect for any occasion. Roasted artichokes cooked in air fryer take significantly less than in the oven so why not give it a go!
Serve them with your favorite dip or find some easy dip recipe ideas below.
Can you air fry artichokes?
Yes, you can. The full step by step instructions for this air fryer artichokes recipe can be found in the recipe card, located under this post.
Can you cook a whole artichoke in an air fryer?
Yes, but I prefer cutting them in half to reduce the cooking time.
How long to cook artichoke in air fryer?
This will depend on the size of your artichokes as well as on the air fryer you own. Also, if you decide not to preheat your air fryer, I recommend adding 2-3 minutes to the overall cooking time.
When I make these air fryer artichokes, I count with a minimum of 12 minutes (medium in size). When the time is up, I take one out and check for doneness by peeling off the outer leaves – if they go easily, it’s a sign they are done.
If you wanted to make whole artichokes in air fryer, you would definitely need to increase the cooking time, so I recommend cutting them in half, unless you want to make stuffed artichokes in air fryer.
How to make artichokes in air fryer
First you need to prep the artichokes for cooking. Rinse them and remove some of the outer leaves (I usually do about 7 or more). Then, cut the stem off and cut off the tip. Cut them in half.
Then, all you have to do is pour lemon juice over, drizzle some olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
Air fryer artichokes are ready in no time, so why not giving them a go!
How do you eat artichokes?
Using your front teeth, pull the leaf through to remove the soft part that you have dipped in the sauce. Discard the rest.
Once you have peeled all the leaves, you will be left with the heart – the best part of artichoke. There will be the fluff as we have not removed it before cooking. Take a spoon and gently slide it under the fluffy area and move around until you have removed all of it. You can also just grab the fluff with your fingers and pull.
When done, you can dip the heart in sauce and enjoy it.
If you are looking for more air fryer appetizer recipes, I have some inspiration for you:
Check out our video for how to make Air Fryer Artichokes:
- 2 Medium Artichokes, see note 1
- 1 Small Lemon, juice only
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil, see note 2
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- Black Pepper to taste, see note 3
- Preheat the air fryer to 340° Fahrenheit (170° Celsius) – 4-5 minutes is enough.
Rinse the artichokes under running water. Remove outer leaves (about 7-10), cut the tips and shorten the stem. Cut them in half, lengthwise. Turn them so the cut side is facing you.
- Pour a generous amount of fresh lemon juice over (about ¼ of lemon per piece).
- Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Now place them in preheated air fryer cut side down and repeat (drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper).
- Cook for 12-15 minutes (or until ready) at 340° Fahrenheit (170° Celsius).
- Serve with a dip of your choice.
- Artichokes vary in size and shape. For this reason, they might need less or more seasoning as well as less or more time in air fryer. 12-15 minutes should be enough for medium ones. If using large ones, you will need to increase cooking time. I would go with 17-20 minutes, but I would keep an eye on them. I also like to season them well on both sides because some of the seasoning will come off while cooking. Also, be generous with lemon juice as well.
- For best results use olive oil only (I used extra virgin olive oil).
- In this case more pepper is better than less. It does give the artichokes nice flavor.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 66Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 565mgCarbohydrates: 8gFiber: 4gSugar: 1gProtein: 2g