This homemade garlic bread recipe is easy and quick to make so why not make it yourself? A few simple ingredients and 5 minutes baking time is all you need!
While garlic bread goes well with soups, stews, spaghetti Bolognese or anything really, you can easily turn it into an appetizer. Because who does not like snacking on a good garlic bread?
Plus, you can easily make a large batch to feed a crowd, if needed.
Btw, this is an oil-free garlic bread recipe!
How to make garlic bread
Slice baguette in half, lengthwise. In a small bowl combine minced garlic with finely chopped fresh parsley and softened butter. Mix everything well and spread this mixture over the baguettes.
Then, all you have to do is bake it in a pre-heated oven until slightly crispy around the edges and the butter has melted. This takes literally minutes. 5-10 minutes should be plenty! You don’t want to dry out the bread.
What bread to use for homemade garlic bread?
I prefer using French-style baguettes to make this easy appetizer, but you can experiment and try other breads if you like. An Italian loaf will also work well.
A day (or two) old bread will work great too!
You can add some Parmesan cheese to the butter mixture or top the garlic bread with shredded mozzarella a few minutes before taking it out.
Try it and let us know what you think!
How to make soft garlic bread in oven
If you would like to make homemade garlic bread, but prefer it soft, you can do it by slicing the bread into about 1-inch thick slices (2.5 centimeters) and spread some of the garlic mixture over each slice.
Put all slices together – making sure each of them faces the plain side of the next piece, and wrap in aluminum foil and bake. You will need a little more time to cook it. This way you will get nice soft bread on the inside.
- 2 French Baguettes, see note 1
- Fresh Flat-Leaf Parsley, finely chopped, see note 2
- 2 Garlic Cloves, pressed, see note 3
- 2 tablespoons Butter (30 grams), at room temperature
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- In a bowl, mix together finely chopped parsley, pressed garlic and softened butter until well combined.
- Cut the baguettes in half, lengthwise and spread the garlic butter over.
- Place the baguettes onto a baking sheet and bake for 5 minutes or until the edges turn slightly crispy.
- When ready, take them out, let them cool slightly and cut into any size you like.
- I used medium French baguettes - each about 12 inch (30 centimeters) long. If you want to use a larger baguettes or thick French bread, you will need to double the recipe.
- I recommend using fresh parsley for best results. If you use dried parsley, the flavor won’t be so intense - if you prefer more subtle parsley flavor, then go ahead and use dried parsley. The quantity depends entirely up to you.
- Do not substitute garlic for garlic powder. It will not taste the same.
- You can cut the bread into larger slices, if you like.
- Note that every oven bakes differently, so keep an eye on the bread, especially when making it for the first time.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 124Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 4mgSodium: 256mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 4g